Monday, February 23, 2015

Iver and Marit ~ My 2nd Great-Grandparents


Iver Iverson and Marit Thorsdatter were my paternal 2nd great-grandparents. I've written a couple of blog posts about them in the past.  Iver served in the U.S. Civil War. I wrote a bit about that in a post back in 2013. You can read that post by clicking HERE. I shared Marit's death certificate in a blog post which you can read by clicking HERE.

Iver and Marit were both born in Norway. He emigrated from Norway in April of 1858. When I wrote about Iver in 2013, I didn't have any concrete evidence about when he immigrated to the United States. But thankfully I do now and I will share Iver's immigration record in a future post. Unfortunately, I don't have immigration information for Marit, or Mary as she was known in the United States.

Iver Iverson married Marit Thorsdatter on 23 February 1860 in La Crosse, Wisconsin.

Iver and Marit were the parents of nine or ten children.*

1. Edward Theodore Iverson (1860-1916)
2. Caroline Lena Gioline Iverson (1864-1882)
3. Mathelda Iverson (1866-1910)
4. Christopher Iverson (1868-1925) [my grandfather]
5. Iver Martin Iverson (1870-1940)
6. Oscar Iverson (1871-1958)
7. William Iverson (1873-)
8. Julia Randina Iverson (1875-1973)
9. Emely or Emily Maria Iverson (1878-1880)
10. William Franklin Iverson (1883-Abt 1885)

* Child No. 7 and Child No. 10 may be the same person. This needs further research to resolve.

As I mentioned, I now have concrete evidence showing when Iver immigrated to America. I have a digital copy of the document that lists Iver leaving for America in April of 1858. I also have digital copies of documents that list Iver's brother Ole and Ole's family, Iver's parents and another brother named Christopher, leaving for America as well. I'll be sharing these documents and other information about my Norwegian family lines in future posts.

Thanks for reading!

Jana
 
© 2015 Copyright by Jana Last, All Rights Reserved

4 comments:

  1. Sad to lose Marit to Mary, in the name of assimilation. I really love the former name!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Marit is a beautiful name. I wonder if she changed it or if people started calling her Mary and she just went by that eventually.

      Delete
  2. I had the very same though as Peopleofpancho.

    Congrats on tracking down the immigration records. Can't wait for the next post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wendy! It's so awesome to have these immigration records. I'm working on the next post and should share it sometime next week. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Printfriendly

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...