Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Wednesday’s Child x 2–Lewis Asher and Frederick G. Engle

I feel for my maternal 2nd great-grand aunt Sarah Amanda Waterman.  Two of her children died at a very young age:
    • Lewis Asher Engle – Born 10 February 1861, Died 7 February 1862.
    • Frederick G. Engle – Born 20 February 1876, Died the same day.
I can’t even imagine how painful this must have been for her.  She and her husband, Richard Engle, were the parents of seven children, all of whom were born in Ohio:
  1. Ella Eliza Engle (16 Jun 1858 – 10 December 1951)
  2. Lewis Asher Engle (10 February 1861 – 7 February 1862)
  3. Charles Albert Engle (20 June 1864 – 20 September 1946)
  4. Mary Albertina Engle ( 20 June 1864 – 13 January 1885)
  5. William Barker Engle (23 September 1867 – 1 Jun 1950)
  6. Edwin Caleb Engle (8 November 1869 – 18 May 1943)
  7. Frederick G. Engle (20 February 1876 – 20 February 1876)
Richard Engle served in the U.S. Civil War.  I have his pension file (I love pension files, by the way!  They are amazing genealogical resources.)  Here's a page from Richard’s pension file listing his children.  Surprisingly I found a child from a previous marriage that I didn’t know anything about.

Richard Engle Pension Claim 4

I was also unaware of Richard's first marriage.  His first wife, Eliza Dunbar, and daughter, Morandia Jane Engle, both died in November of 1855 within days of each other.  So very sad!

Thanks for reading!


Copyright © Jana Last 2012

4 comments:

  1. I don't remember seeing that question on the Civil War pension file. I need to go back and look at my ancestors' files. Do you think that Eliza and Morandia were victims of an epidemic?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendy, I don't know if Eliza and Morandia were victims of an epidemic or not. Perhaps Eliza died of complications of childbirth and there was no one who could care for Morandia. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. It's hard not to notice that the death of children (and sometimes their mothers) was more common 150 years ago ... I'm always saddened to discover it. Amazing where this pension file was able to lead you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! Yes, it is heartbreaking to come across records of the deaths of little children.

      Delete

Printfriendly

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...